Friday, January 27, 2012

Pattern Review: Simplicity 5840

Alright, so this is a project I completed quite some time ago, while I was still in my "everything I sew must be a costume" phase.  But in an effort to have a mostly complete record of my sewing adventures posted to this blog I thought I would post this pattern review.

Simplicity 5840
When I made this I wanted a general purpose fantasy style cloak that I could wear with the fantasy style costumes I was wanting to make.  I found the velvet fabric at a Joann's Red Tag sale, so I paid only $4.50/yard for the main fabric (which is a good price for velvet, even though this is not the best quality), and the lining fabric was $2/yard.  The trim was a bit of a splurge, but I think it really makes the piece, so I am happy I bought it.

My blue velvet cloak!

The clasp fastener

My fancy trim

The hood

Open view - you can see the lining on the left.
Overall I was really pleased with this project when I made it, and now I think it is possibly one of my favorite costume pieces I made.  While I don't know how much I would wear the dresses I made (now they are too big and I can see the many fit issues), I would totally wear this if there was occasion for it.

Although it has been a while since I made this here is my attempt at a pattern review:

Pattern Description: Hooded capes with sleeves and men's fantasy costumes.  I made the hooded cape view B.

Pattern Sizing: (XS-S-M-L-XL).  It has been a while since I made this, but I think I made a Medium.  If I were going to make it again I would make a Small because I have lost some weight since them.  Also, there is a generous amount of ease, which is good for the cape, especially if you are going to wear it over another costume piece that has slightly bulky sleeves.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, very easy.  It is a fairly simple pattern so there isn't anything too complicated.

Did it look like the photo/drawing when you were done with it?  Yes, very much!  Actually more than usual because I chose a very similar color to the envelope picture.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I really loved that this pattern had sleeves.  And it was nice that all sizes were included together.  Also, I think all of the variations available in this pattern are great - it would be perfect for making a Jedi costume, though that is not what I used it for.  No dislikes.

Fabric used:  For the outside I used velvet, and I lined it with a polyester lining.  I also used very wide decorative trim.

Pattern alterations or design changes you made:  I changed the location of the trim slightly, since I used a larger trim and didn't want it going around the back.  Also, I added a lining which wasn't called for in the original pattern.

Would you sew this again?  Would you recommend this to others?  Yes, if I decided I needed or wanted another cloak with sleeves then I would definitely use this pattern again.  I think the pattern is great and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to make a fantasy type costume.

Conclusion:  Great pattern!  It is hard to find a cloak with sleeves, and this pattern worked out just perfectly.  I love my finished version, and I would definitely use this pattern again in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I have this pattern and want to make the C style costume but i lost the half of the directions that say how to sew it :( could you possibly email me pictures/scans of the directions to my email?

    ReplyDelete