Monday, March 11, 2013

Drat You March Burda!

So, while I was initially uninspired by the early preview for the March issue of Burda, I ended up really liking a lot of the styles in this issue, and it seems that having the magazine in my position has inspired a fair bit of fabric acquisition and unexpected project planning.  Which I think is sort of a good thing, as it means the mojo is on the rise.  But maybe also not so good because it means that my year long sewing plans are going to be thrown totally out of whack.  Interesting how the mojo flow changes plans, isn't it?

So first of all, here are the new pretties...

From Jo-Ann Fabrics (white and brown) and Fashion Fabrics Club (teal):

White houndstooth jacquard cotton/poly blend, brown pinstripe poly-rayon-lycra
(yes, the fabric from the encounter with the QuiltB), and teal cotton sateen.
From Hancock Fabrics:

Purple cotton plaid for my sister's shirt re-make.
Rainbow cotton plaid for a dress for me.

From Fabric.com:

Teal and light blue stretch lace (for the March Burda cardigan),
white embroidered cotton eyelet (for the March Burda skirt),
and multi-colored houndstooth wool (because it was super cheap and awesome).


And from Fabric Mart:

Purple rayon challis print (meant for the March Burda ruched top halter dress)
Pastel cotton/rayon boucle blend (meant for the March Burda 3/4 sleeve jacket)


Vera Wang acetate linings.

More Vera Wang acetate linings. 

Free fabric bundle: lime cotton plaid (for PJs!), black cotton-ish
broadcloth (for a muslin), and brown knit print.

So, obviously, after a few months of not buying much at all I went a bit fabric crazy.  Though in my defense most of this is $1.99 lining fabric.  And as for the rest, well, I am really inspired to make a lot of the pieces from the March Burda right now.  So while I still want to try to stick to my year-long sewing goals in general, I have been re-working my plans for now through the end of March...  And moving around some of my other challenge projects, since there are things I still really need to make, but didn't get to what with all of the mojo-crushing flu bugs I have been dealing with.  Oh well.  The projects I will be moving around will still fit with my "seasonally appropriate" theme - besides, grey trousers are always in season (at least if you are a skating judge).  In the end I guess we all just sew what we can in the time that we have.

3 comments:

  1. You have big plans for March number%)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a plan for the fabric before you buy or do you buy what you like and then decide what to make with it later? If so, how do you know how much to buy? I always see fabric I like but never know how much I should get. Do you have a good rule of thumb when buying fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have a specific plan, and sometimes I have a general idea. For example, the purple rayon challis print was bought for a specific pattern, which I know requires a lot of yardage, so I bought the amount required by the pattern (over 6 yards!). For the houndstooth wool I know I will make a coat with it, but I don't yet have a specific pattern in mind, so I bought 3 yards. Basically I have read a lot of patterns and looked at a lot of fabric requirements, so I have a general idea of how much yardage a thing will need. For a coat I try to get 3-4 yards, for a top 1-3 (depending on sleeves or no sleeves), for a dress 2-4 (sheath or full skirt), for a jacket 2-3, for a skirt 1-2, and for pants 2-3. The number of yards depends on the fabric width and if there is a pattern I will need to match also. As for the linings - I know I will use grey a lot, most likely for pants, so I bought lots of that color, but only a few yards of the bright colors because I plan to use them to line skirts, dresses, and pockets, so I won't need as much. When I buy fabric I try to have some idea of what it will be, even if I don't have a specific pattern in mind, so I can estimate yardage. Sometimes when I stash raid it ends up becoming something else, but I would say 90% of the time my fabric ends up being used for pretty much what I had intended.

      Delete