Monday, January 6, 2014

Pattern Review: BS-12-2013-119A

I had originally planned to wear my new peplum cardigan for the holiday festivities, but an unexpected fabric purchase, coupled with an unexpected heat spell, inspired me to whip up a little last-minute something to wear for Christmas day.

BS-12-2013-119A

And when I say last-minute, I mean last-minute.  I had traced and cut out the fabric a few days before, but I didn't actually start sewing this until after the Christmas morning activities, and I finished hemming it only thirty minutes before leaving to see my grandmother.  Everyone else in my family was quite enamored with it.  I was pleased, but not as in love with it as I had expected to be.  Especially since I was so excited with this pattern when the magazine came out.  I think I should have paid a bit more attention to the look of the line drawing and perhaps gone down a size in the shoulder area.

Sparkly holiday top!
Looks perhaps a bit too large around the shoulders.
The back - the batwing sleeves were actually quite comfy,
and I like the elastic gathering at the waist.

Pattern Description: Cowl neck top with batwing style sleeves.

Pattern Sizing:  Burda sizes 36-44.  I made a size 38 and graded out to a size 42 at the hips.  I have recently switched to making a size 38 in Burda with much success, but I found the opening to be a bit wide around the shoulder area in this pattern.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, I thought they were quite easy to understand.  The only confusing bit is when they say to stitch exactly to the marked sleeve seam line; there are unnumbered tick marks on the bodice front and back, which are the markings they are referring to in that step.

Did it look like the photo/drawing when you were done with it?  Yes, I thought it looks quite a bit like the line drawing.  I don't think my fabric had quite the drape of the fabric used in the garment photos, but overall it looked quite similar.

What did you particularly like/dislike about this pattern?  Likes:  I really like cowl neck designs, I thought the sleeves felt very elegant, and I really like the elastic waist and the extra bit of fabric below the gather.  Dislikes: I found the neck to be a bit too open, and had a problem with the top either gapping in the back of the neck or sliding down my shoulders.  Also, for some reason the back of the neck looks quite stretched out, but I am inclined to blame my fabric for that.  Though looking at the line drawing perhaps it is just drafted to be an extra wide opening.

Fabric used:  Glitter ITY-ish knit.

Pattern alterations or design changes you made:  None.

Would you sew this again?  Would you recommend it to others?  I might sew this again.  I think I would used a size 36 for the neck opening and keep the rest of the top the same.  I got quite a few compliments from my family (they were shocked I had made it in less than two hours), so perhaps this is a good style for me and maybe I should have more of them?  On the other hand, it is quite distinctive and a bit more elegant than my everyday life requires, so perhaps I will be satisfied with just having the one for now.  I would recommend this pattern to others, but I would suggest going down one size in the shoulder area and grading out to your normal size as you move down the pattern.  I would also recommend having a cami to wear under it - it isn't the sort of top that is easy to bend or maneuver in while maintaining decency.

Conclusion:  I really like this top and I got a lot of compliments on it.  It was a bit of a last minute project, so all things considered it turned out quite well.  I do wish the opening at the top of the neck were a bit smaller, but I will just have to adjust that for next time.  I might consider altering this pattern or combining it with other patterns because I do love the lower half of the pattern.  If I make it again I think I want to use a knit that has a much softer drape as well.  In the meantime I am going to enjoy wearing my fun sparkly holiday top at special holiday events.

4 comments:

  1. Great top! The shoulders look a tad big but the shirt is very slimming on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great top, and the fabric is perfect for holiday parties although I'm not averse to a bit of sparkle anytime. I've already traced this pattern and I also usually make a 38 so I may go back and make some adjustments based on your recommendations. Yours looks fine, but I know how annoying it can be to have a top sliding off your shoulders as soon as you move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I love the sparkly fabric, it definitely makes it festive. This pattern is definitely on my list...

    ReplyDelete