Sunday, January 5, 2014

Pattern Review: Burda 6990

Keeping warm at skating practice during the winter months is all about layering.  I don't see much point in making practice dresses that I can't wear year-round, and having the option of taking off a long sleeve shirt is nice during days where the rink is warmer than anticipated.  The thing is I am very picky about the shirts I wear to practice.  I want them to be fitted (under-arm visibility is something most people probably don't worry about when they are making a shirt, but when you are traveling backward over a thin line painted on the ground, it is a valid and somewhat major concern), but mobility is also really important.  Most of the shirts I have been wearing to skating practice are heading towards being a *mumblemumbledecademumblemumble* old.  Yeah, it's kinda sad.  So when Burda included this pattern in their latest envelope releases, I knew it was going to get made up before winter was over:

Burda 6990
Often when I get a pattern with multiple views and options there is one particular style I want to make, but on this pattern I want to make all of them!  Not necessarily for skating practice, but just, you know, in general.  So far I have only made view C - the turtleneck where the collar is an extension of the front, back, and sleeves and not a separate piece.  Despite a few construction errors (well, ok, a wonky hem) and a few necessary fit alterations, I am happy to report that this top has excellent under-arm visibility and that it worked well for a morning of skating practice.  I am so pleased with my first version that I made a second, and will possibly do more if I can find acceptable fabric.

Version 1 - fresh from practice.
The sleeves were a bit large, as was the waist.

The back of version 2.  The swayback problems have been minimized with this version.
Up close view of the collar.  This was after practice, so it had been worn for a while.
I don't think mine is as perky as the version on the Burda envelope, but I am
sure fabric choice would change that quite a bit.
The double twin-needle hem.  This is what happens when you don't actually
catch the folded up fabric in the hem and are too lazy to unpick knits.
In the grand scheme of life I will be wiping sweat and snot on this sleeve, so, meh?

Here is my official Pattern Review:

Pattern Description:  Raglan sleeve knit top with five collar/length variations.

Pattern Sizing:  Burda sizes 34-46 (8-20).  I made a size 38 and graded out to a 40/42 at the hips and on the sleeves.  My knit was very stretch and so I found the fit to be a bit baggier than I wanted (I wanted the fit very tight so that I could use it for skating practice), so I took in the pattern a bit more at the waist and on the sleeves.  I probably would have been fine making a straight 38 and grading out to a 40 only at the lower hem.  Lately I have been using size 38 with an FBA as my Burda size, but I didn't need to do an FBA with this pattern.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Ridiculously so.  It is basically sew side seams, sew sleeve seams, attach sleeves to body, hem, and finish off the neck for your view.  The pictures are great even if you don't like to read Burda instructions.

Did it look like the photo/drawing when you were done with it?  Pretty much.  I think my collar is a little more relaxed, but I also think I used drapier fabric than in the garment photo.

What did you particularly like/dislike about this pattern?  I love the style, the fit, and all of the different variations.  I also love how quick and easy it is to sew up.  It is really comfy to wear too.  No dislikes.

Fabric used:  Navy modal knit from Fabric Mart.

Pattern alterations or design changes you made:  None, other than using multiple sizes on my first version.  I realized I didn't really need to use the larger sizes, so the second version has side seams taken in by an inch, and lower sleeve seams reduced by about half an inch.

Would you sew this again?  Would you recommend it to others?  Yes and yes!  I would love to make more versions of view C for exercise/skating purposes (especially in some sort of supplex or wicking fabrics), and I think it would look awesome with some color blocking on the sleeves.  I would really like to make other views from this pattern (especially A and E) for every day wear.  I think all of the included variations are great, and I think this top would be flattering to a lot of different body shapes.  It is very easy to put together too - it would be a great pattern for someone who is just learning how to sew with knits, use a serger, or for someone who is new to Burda.

Conclusion:  Love this pattern!  I bought it with the purpose of making exercise tops for the winter, and I am very pleased with the results.  I like the fit and style lines so I will definitely consider making other versions in the future.  Great pattern - highly recommended.

1 comment:

  1. I love this pattern too! I lengthened it to make a Start Trek (Original Series) uniform. It was so simple and turned out so well that I'm going to make a regular (non-nerdy) shirt dress from a knit I bought last winter. I love the neck variations and the fit since they didn't add 3 feet of ease. It fits just like it's supposed to.

    ReplyDelete