Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Newsflash: New Vogue Patterns Announced

The latest collection from Vogue is here!  Overall I have to say it is a good collection, but maybe not a great one.  There are a lot of patterns here that I like, but there aren't a ton that I actually want to go out and buy.  I think a lot of the patterns I do like are very similar to patterns I already have in the stash, or I find them interesting, but just not my personal style.  There are a few boring/baggy/sack dress patterns, but overall I think the release has more good stuff than bad.  Let's take a look:

First up, the dresses:

V1398 - A Mark + James Badgley Mischka pattern.
I like the top, and the scalloped skirt is interesting.
Perhaps a bit sweet for my taste?
I can think of several other bloggers who would own this look though.

V1399 - A Badgley Mischka dress pattern.  Actually I think this is quite clean and chic.
Normally I am not a fan of peplums like this, but here the proportions work.

V1392 - A Kay Unger New York pattern.
I like the off the shoulder neckline, though in my experience,
they are the most practical the wear.  Skirt... meh, but it has pockets!

V1393 - Another Kay Unger pattern.  I really like the contrasting bands,
though I am not sure the seam line details show up well in this lace fabric.
Cute, but I feel like I have seen similar designs before.

V1394 - Rebecca Taylor pattern.  The gathering on this dress is cute,
but nothing sensational.  Not sure how comfortable/practical the button-up back is.

V1395 - Another Rebecca Taylor.  Nice to see a draped dress for wovens.
Again, nothing amazing, but it would be easy to wear during summer.

V1396 - A DKNY pattern.  I actually sort of like this,
but I also know it wouldn't look good on me.  Hoping someone else is inspired to make it...

V1402 - A Lialia pattern.  Interesting use of the print on the dress,
but the pattern itself isn't terribly exciting to me.

V1397 - Tracy Reese pattern.  This actually reminds me a lot of
the dress from the October 2012 Burda...

The deep-V back is the most exciting part, I think.

V8998 - A Vogue Easy Options Custom Fit dress.
I wasn't super excited by the photo...

...but I do like some of the variations on the line drawings.
The cup sizing options don't hurt either.

V8997 - Another Easy Options pattern.
I wasn't very excited by the photo of this dress at first either...

But the line drawings won me over again.
Especially for the sheath dresses.  And more cup sizing - yay!

V8995 - The drawing isn't super inspiring on this Very Easy Vogue pattern.
But imagine it color blocked (and sleeveless) and you have a total winner.

V8993 - Another Very Easy Vogue.
Actually I think this dress is quite cute.

V9001 - Not sure how I feel about where all the
bust seam lines are located on this one...

V8996 - Another Very Easy Vogue.
The basic shape of the dress is quite simple, but it has awesome pocket placement!
V8992 - I feel like this coat dress could be quite cute, especially if styled appropriately.
And the long-sleeved version could probably be re-worked into a coat if one was so inclined.
There were also some awesome non-dress patterns too:

V8991 - A Claire Shaeffer Custom Couture pattern.
Might have to get this one just for the instructions and the sleeves.

V9009 - I like the line drawings of this jacket pattern, but I don't know
if I like it more than other patterns I have in the stash.  The collar is interesting though.

V9013 - A Very Easy Vogue pattern.  I like the skirt, and I like the jacket,
but I don't know if I would like how this translates in real life.
Might have to wait and see if anyone else makes up the jacket in this pattern before I invest in it.

V9016 - An Elizabeth Gillett NYC pattern.  Love this little shrug!  So cute!

This slightly edgier version isn't too bad either.
And I know exactly what I would wear it with.  Might have to add this to the stash...

V9005 - A draped tank top for knits.  In theory it is pretty,
but I feel I might get annoyed wearing it.  I am sure 20 million versions will pop
up on the blog-o-sphere and I will be proven wrong though...

And I think the other versions look quite voluminous.

V9003 - I think the peplum is just a bit too full on this top.
The collar on he neck looks a bit small too...

V9004 - Color blocked blouse.  Not sure I am loving it.
Mismatched neck seam - cool or sloppy looking?
(I do like the more basic view A - but I feel I could draft it myself using a stash tank top pattern.)

V9002 - I could see this simple top with flutter sleeves becoming quite popular.
Not sure I really love it myself, but it seems like simple tops are all the rage on Pattern Review lately.

V9006 - A Cowl neck for wovens.  Usually we see this sort of thing for knits,
but I am still not particularly excited by this pattern for some reason.

V9008 - These shorts actually aren't too bad!

Actually there are some nice variations in style and length,
while still having classic lines and the sorts of details you would want in a pair of shorts.

V9015 - A lingerie/sleepwear set pattern.

Actually, I love how the belt is attached to the robes!
And I like the slip variations too.
A few new Vintage Vogue patterns:

V9000 - This shirt dress is fine, but not the most exciting vintage reprint ever.

V8999 - This dress looks deceptively basic in the photo...

...but actually consists of a million seams!
It wasn't all good - Vogue also had quite a few baggy, shapeless, sack-dress looks this time around:

V1401 - A KOOS Couture pattern.  It's just... so... big.

V1400 - A Guy Laroche pattern.
Normally I am a fan of the Guy Laroche pattern, but without the belt, this is just...

A large baggy sack.  Boring.

V1390 - A Today's Fit pattern.
Again, this is just sort of shapeless looking on the model.

V1391 - Another Today's Fit.  Not exactly baggy, but not exactly exciting, either.

V8994 - Two words: Potato Sack.

V9010 - The tunic top is just so big!
The pants aren't bad, but what is the sudden fascination with zip-back pants?

V9012 - Ok, I feel like I would wear the top, and I would wear the pants,
but I would never wear them together.  Too much volume all at once!
And again with the zip-back pants!
Shouldn't be too hard to change to a side-zip though...
So, what do you all think?  Does this pattern set have some hits?  Or is it a total snooze-fest?  I feel like a lot of these patterns have the potential to be cute, but also might have the potential to end up in the Frumpy Ghetto of Waddersville.  There are a lot of styles here I like, but wouldn't wear, and others that I would wear, but probably don't need, as they would replicate pre-stashed patterns.  It is making it quite difficult to decide which patterns I would actually want to add to the stash, if any.  Anyone else having these sorts of conundrums?  Is it a sign that my stash is getting too full?  Feel free to discuss the pattern release and your stash dilemmas in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. I don't make many dresses so it was hard for me to get excited about this release. I really like 8997 though. The version on the model is quite cute (summer weddings?)

    9001 is cute if you are not busty. At all. Like, at all.

    I don't like that view of 9006 but the other views are pretty nice. That might be the only one I buy.

    Uneven neckline? Sloppy.

    And the Guy Laroche is a sack with slits and cut outs everywhere and just...no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm really psyched about this release! There's a lot of interesting options - and new lingerie!! I think my tentative favorites are the second Badgely Mischka dress, the V9001 (yes, the bust seam would have to be considered), the shrug and the drapey tee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was not a bad release but I feel like I have a lot of these patterns. Or something similar. Nothing that makes me want to run out and shop for patterns. But it wasn't bad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the white Badgely Mischka peplum dress but I do feel like I have seen or already have almost everything else. Maybe I will change my mind when I see versions popping up on blogs....

    ReplyDelete