Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Newsflash: Butterick Winter Patterns Are Here

The Holiday/Winter Collection of Butterick patterns has been announced.  When I first looked at the overview photos I wasn't too impressed.  I thought a lot of the designs looked like some pretty typical boxy oversized winter faire, or like the typical simple holiday dress patterns.  But, actually, after looking at the line drawings and additional garment images I actually found quite a bit to like.  There are some nice details and interesting designs hidden in among some of the more generic options.  Let's take a look...

Being the holidays there are a lot of party-worthy dresses in this release:

B6146 - A Connie Crawford gown.  Comes in miss and women's sizes,
also has a variation with sleeves. I like the simple lines and neckline. 

B6127 - At first I thought this was a dress/jacket combo, but actually it's just a dress.
Love the neckline, and the possible fabric combinations could be very interesting.

Love the seam details in the line drawing.  Looks very sharp.

B6124 - I wasn't too impressed at first, but I do like the sleeve detail here.
Also, pockets are nice.  I think the other versions with a
higher neckline might be more wearable though.

Views C and D might be more versatile in a wardrobe.

B6130 - I normally don't care much for a jumpsuit, but I like the lines here.
The fact that the rest of the options are for dresses doesn't hurt either.

The bodice is quite pretty for the dresses and the jumpsuit.

B6131 - A/B/C/D Cup sized dress with scarf detail.
We've seen a lot of these in the past, but this pattern could be really nice if you find
yourself needing to whip up a bunch of bridesmaid dresses.
(Which, I'm not, so don't get excited.  I'm just saying... Could be useful, especially with the sizing options).


B6128 - Love this wrap dress - looks like such a useful wardrobe staple.
There are also a lot of coats and jackets in this release:

B6143 - I wasn't too excited by the garment photo here, but then I saw the line drawing...

View D shall be mine!  (Also maybe view C.  And view B, in a different color...)

B6140 - Another jacket pattern where I was on the fence at first, but the line drawings sold me again.

Loving view D here too!  And view B.
I have a thing for long dramatic coats.

B6141 - A coat/jacket pattern with pleated detail.

I tend to prefer a more fitted jacket, but I do rather like the drawing of the longer variation here.

B6139 - Basic jacket/vest pattern with cup sizing.  It's fine, but basic.

B6142 - A Lifestyle Wardrobe pattern.
I think the individual pieces are ok, but not sure how I feel about them together?

Also comes with a vest and dress option.

B6120 - A See & Sew basic jacket pattern.  Simple, clean lines.

B6119 - Another basic See & Sew jacket pattern.
There are some cute tops in this release:

Love the lines of this fitted woven blouse.

I actually really like all the views!

B6133 - A nice variation on a button down blouse.

The gathering in the back is an interesting detail.
I feel like it might look better in real life than it does in the drawing.

B6132 - A Fast & Easy Knit top.  Looks like the perfect cozy quick sew for winter.

I actually like all the options here as well.  This one is on my list.

B6136 - A Kathrine Tilton pattern.  I'm actually really digging this one.
It is the perfect balance between voluminous and fitted -
not my typical style, but I'm sort of wanting to try it out.


B6138 - Another Katerine Tilton top.  This one has a bit much going on for me,
but I do rather like the collar.

You can see all the details better in the line drawing.

B6135 - A Fast & Easy pattern.  Looks like a LOT to fabric.
Might be nice for cuddling under the blankets at home.

B6147 - Boxy tunic top.  Meh.

B6144 - A Fast & Easy pattern.  Looks sort of like PJs in this fabric choice.

B6117 - A See & Sew pattern.  The tucks at the top are a nice detail.

B6118 - Another See & Sew top pattern.  I like the collar on this one.
There are also a few other assorted new styles:

B6152 - Robe/nightgown pattern set.  Has a slightly vintage feel to it.

B6145 - Basic PJs.


B6137 - A Fast & Easy pants pattern.  Could see this made up in a lot of different fabrics.

B6151 - A Waverly corset pattern.

B6149 - A Retro Butterick Doll's pattern.  Cute!

B6150 - Another cute Retro doll's pattern.

B6122 - A See & Sew doll's pattern.  Looks fairly basic -
might be a good holiday gift for a young-un interested in learning to sew.

B6148 - A Waverly tote bag pattern.

B6121 - A See & Sew tote/backpack bag pattern.
So there it is!  I don't think there are many really exciting pattern in this release, but there are definitely some nice details and a few hidden gems scattered throughout.  I'm actually a bit surprised how many I'm adding to my wish list (some for gift sewing, to be fair), even though I'm not really feeling overly excited by this collection as a whole.  I'm wondering if it is because I'm finding myself responding to many of the un-photographed variations this time around.  So, what do you all think?  Anything worth getting excited about here?  Or is this a pretty dull release?  Am I the only one who is really like a lot of the "view D" options rather than the photographed views?  Feel free to discuss in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. I just blogged the release too. I want several of them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually thinking I need (y'know, *NEED*) to make that jumpsuit pattern for my husband's Holiday party instead of the dress I was going to make. Because it's awesome. It is full of awesomeness.

      Delete
  2. I think I might need to make Butterick 6143. Thanks for the inspiration. I would've passed over the pattern. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think that one is my favorite! When I saw the original photo I was like, "Ah, finally, a coat pattern I don't need." But then I saw the line drawing and now I'm like, nope, done, I'm sold.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised. I like the release. A few are going on my list. Normally I don't like a lot of their patterns. This release I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has anyone made the B6139 jacket? I'm looking for a basic jacket for work that has A-B-C-D cup adjustments. I also think that this jacket could be adapted in various ways - ruched sleeves, button front or even Chanel style with patch pockets and trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any reviews for it, but I do think your idea would be very classy!

      Delete