|Team Dance costumes!|
|I used teal and black velvet.|
|Here is the back of my dress.|
|A not-so great look at the diagonal design on the back of the jacket.|
|I used iron-on appliques to create the design on the dress and jacket.|
(Photo courtesy of my sister)
|I think I used about 20 appliques in all. (Photo courtesy of my sister)|
These costumes took a LONG time to make, not because they were excessively complicated, but just because the beading and sewing-on of appliques took forever. I think I achieved the overall look I was going for (subtle, mature, sophistication), but, ultimately, I decided that it just wasn't bold enough for nationals. Well, that and I lost a little bit of weight between the sewing of this dress and the wearing of it, and I wanted something with a slightly better fit. We did use these costumes for one of our events at nationals (these seemed more appropriate for a blues/waltz/foxtrot combo), but I ended up sewing two entirely new costumes (a dress and a tuxedo) for our other national event. Nobody was privy to the design until we showed up to skate, so the code name in my head was the "secret project of awesome." They were possibly the most complicated skating costumes I have ever made, killed my sewing machine, and caused more headaches than I care to recount. But, well, they were awesome. I will show you tomorrow - stay tuned!