Friday, August 29, 2014

Newsflash: Fall/Winter Marfy Announced

The McCall's website has the new Marfy patterns up for viewing.  The Marfy patterns are always so pretty to look at, but I've never been able to justify the cost to myself.  Still, it's fun to look at all the pretty designs:

F3472 - Love this coat!  It looks like it could have
come out of a vintage catalog.  Probably my favorite new design.

F3471 - Love this coat too!
I think I'm just having a thing for coats with large skirts right now.

F3482 - Another fab coat pattern.  Love that collar.

F3477 - Another coat pattern I'm really liking.
I think I might be able to frankenpattern something similar
using my extensive backlog of Burda patterns though.

F3474 - Another coat with yummy details.
Love the seams, collar, and pocket placement.

F3502 - My first thought: This is cool!
Then I realized that this is just a cape
over a collarless coat.  I could totally make
this using patterns I already own!
The double pockets are cool though.

F3480 - Another coat/cape combo pattern.

F3494 - Another instance where I love the drawing,
but think I could recreate it without too much effort.
Bathrobe pattern, with some interesting pleats at the shoulders
and toggle closures?  Yeah, I could figure that out.

F3506 - I found this eye-catching,
but it is another design that is pretty basic.
Definitely need to think about using trim more
effectively in my projects to add interest.

F3481 - The scarf collar thing is kinda interesting.

F3483 - Loved the shape and pocket
placement on the front of this coat.

Not sure how I feel about the skirt/seam placement on the back though.

F3495 - Am I the only one getting a 80s punk rock vibe?
Maybe it is just the colors they used for the lining...
Makes me think of Jem vs. Pizzazz.

F3493 - This reminds me of a lot of vintage swing coats,
but drawn with more modern textiles.  I actually sort of like this style.

F3486 - Another coat with a basic silhouette, but the
color blocking makes it interesting.

F3522 - Another coat with basic lines that looks super elegant in the drawing.

F3311 - Love the shape of this jacket and the interesting collar.

F3503 - The asymmetric hem is an interesting
detail on this otherwise basic jacket.

F3505 - The pocket placement/seam lines are kinda cool on this jacket.

F3458 - Love the simple elegance of this gown.

F3466 - The draping is really interesting in this gown/jumpsuit pattern.

F3451 - Yeah, this is a basic sheath dress.
But I'm always a sucker for blue lace, so I had to show it.

F3442 - I think the bodice/corset lines moving
into the peplum is an interesting look.

F3443 - Love the way this dress is gathered at the waist!

F3429 - Another design that is fairly basic,
but I love the combination of the collar, belt, and embellishment in the drawing.
Maybe another image to use as inspiration for patterns I already own.

F3516 - Love the neckline on this dress.

F3416 - For some reason the sleeves on this one make me think "spring"
more than "fall."  Not sure how I feel about the center seaming, but I do like the
gathers at the bust.  I think that could look very flattering.

F3417 - Another "spring" look.  Actually, with the giant hat,
makes me think Pretty Woman remake goes to the races.
(And, yes, I know - they go to the races in My Fair Lady, and polo in Pretty Woman,
but I feel like the remake would go back to the races.  Dunno why...)

F3520 - Not sure how I feel about this one.
I like the overall shape, but it seems a bit... stuffy?

F3315 - I'm oddly drawn to this dress design -
the fitted/blousey sleeves are sort of intriguing.

F3512 - The color blocking on this top is kinda cool.

F3449 - My first thought: How does that shirt stay in place?
I wonder if you have to put wire in that collar section?
I do like the look of this top though.

F3514 - Not sure how I feel about this top -
is the seaming detail occurring in an awkward location?
There are other looks, but I thought these were the most interesting.  Though I have to say, usually I'm in awe of the details on most of the Marfy designs, especially the gowns.  This time... not so much.  There were a lot of coats I rather liked, but even then I felt as though I could cobble together a lot of the styles/details using patterns I already own.  That combined with the cost of these patterns makes me think I can use these images as more of a design inspiration rather than trying to fit them into my sewing budget.  What do you all think?  See anything particularly drool worthy?  Or are these designs less impressive than Marfy patterns of the past?  Feel free to discuss in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but I have never really liked the "Marfy" look. I think maybe the designs always seem a bit busy. They always seem to have too many details, and that bugs me. I always feel like I am the only one who doesn't get the Marfy mystique.

    Then there is the recent make by Melissa of Fehr Trade, which was her second failure with a Marfy. If she can't manage to make one work, I have no hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I look at the Marfy designs in much the same way I look at vintage patterns - I enjoy looking at all of the details and sort of ponder how the construction/pattern pieces would go together, but I don't know if the garments would ever function in my real life.

      And, yes, while I've seen some amazing finished Marfy garments, I've also seen a few misses on other blogs. The ratio isn't quite high enough for me to spend the money on a single-sized pattern. Especially when I find nearly as much (or more) to like in the Big4 (or 5 or 2 or however you want to look at it) and Burda, which are much more affordable.

      Delete
  2. Way beyond my sewing skills, but fun to look at. My favorite is 3474.
    I hope the ladies in the pattern illustrations can sew because they would be very hard to fit in RTW -- some of those legs look like 46" inseams!

    ReplyDelete