Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pattern Review: Simplicity 0581 (4364)

Ok, so this is really sort of a continuation from yesterday's post.  When my sister was younger, she got one of those American Girl of Today looks-just-like-me dolls.  Like most girls, she always wanted to dress like her doll, but this never really happened.  I thought since I was making her the New Look rainbow birthday dress, I would use leftover materials to make her doll a matching dress.  For this I used Simplicity 0581:

S4364
Ok, so what is up with the confusing pattern numbers?  I have a pattern envelope that is shiny paper with blue at the top, and it says pattern 0581.  However, on the Simplicity website, the pattern number is listed as 4364 with the pink on the envelope.  So, well, whatever, it is the same pattern I am pretty sure.  The pictures on the cover are exactly the same.  In any case, here is the doll dress I made:

The front!

The back - is a bit too small.

I used a fancy stitch for the hem.
Overall, this was a pretty quick and fun little project.  I used leftover materials from my sister's dress so that it would match, although since the doll is (obviously) a lot shorter, it only used the purple/blue colors from the fabric.

Here is my official review for this pattern:

Pattern Description:  Various 18" doll's clothes.  Includes dress with length options, jacket with sleeve options, and leotard/skirt patterns.  I made the view C shorter length dress.

Pattern Sizes:  One Size for 18" dolls.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, pretty simple.  Working on smaller scale clothing is a bit tricky, but the instructions are easy.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the envelope when you were done with it?  Yes, mostly I think.  I din't make the jacket, but the dress looks pretty good.

What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern?  I like all of the different options and that it came with a leotard pattern.  I also think the jackets are cute though I haven't made them yet.  I really like the skirt on the pattern I did make.  My only dislike - the pattern seemed a bit too small for my sister's American Girl doll.  I have read that the newer dolls are a bit less padded in the stomach, so perhaps this pattern is sized for the newer dolls?  I may have to add a bit more to the waist circumference if I make this again.

Fabric used:  Leftover polyester chiffon from a dress I made for my sister.  I made a full sized (New Look 6966) dress for my sister's birthday and, despite her being grown up, I thought it would be fun to make a dress for the doll since she had always wanted a matching outfit when she was younger.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  None.  Next time I may make the pattern slightly a bit bigger.

Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others?  Yes and yes.  I think this is a great pattern because of all the options it includes.  Since it is for a doll, there isn't too much to worry about fit-wise, although if you have some of the older dolls the pattern may be just a tiny bit small.

Conclusion:  Good pattern!  I like making doll's clothes - it is quite fun.  I like this pattern, and I would recommend it to others who want to make doll's clothes as well.

2 comments:

  1. I made The red dress with the black jacket and the white one upper right hand corner of the pattern (using different colors of fabric) I am not a great seamstress, however, they dresses turned out lovely! I even sewed the short sleeved jacket for the red dress view with lining and it is really cute.! The one with the over skirt is gorgeous, I used a silky fabric for the dress and a semi sheer for the over skirt with a sparkly ribbon as the tie. It's the only dress that doll wears. I also put a slight layer of super glue around the seams to keep them from fraying. Nice pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made The red dress with the black jacket and the white one upper right hand corner of the pattern (using different colors of fabric) I am not a great seamstress, however, they dresses turned out lovely! I even sewed the short sleeved jacket for the red dress view with lining and it is really cute.! The one with the over skirt is gorgeous, I used a silky fabric for the dress and a semi sheer for the over skirt with a sparkly ribbon as the tie. It's the only dress that doll wears. I also put a slight layer of super glue around the seams to keep them from fraying. Nice pattern.

    ReplyDelete