Wednesday, December 7, 2011

End of the Year Sewing Plans

Well, I have been spending the past few weeks of sewing time finishing holiday gift projects for other people.  So I am just itching to get back to sewing for me.  So many things I am wanting to sew, can't really decide what I want to try to finish before the end of the year.  My first priority is making a new practice dress for skating, but after that there are a couple of things I have been contemplating....

(1) Simplicity 3563

Not exactly the most exciting of pattens, but I have some fleece in the stash that is taking up a lot of volume and could be better served as a jacket.  It would also be nice to have something to just throw on to go to the store that isn't quite so heavy-duty as my recent coat projects.  And, since the fleece was obtained cheaply from a Joann sale, I won't be making a muslin, so this should be a fairly quick project.

(2) BS-10-2011-127

My dream pants.  I finally found some nice grey stretchy material that I think would look good made up as these pants (haven't posted it to the blog, as it was picked up when I was getting fabric for holiday gift sewing).  With this pattern I will have to muslin as there doesn't look to be much room for error, so this project will probably take a bit longer than the fleece jacket.

(3) Another coat.  Either Butterick 5685:

or McCall's 6442:

I know, I know, I really don't need another coat, but I like making them!  And wearing them!  It's just one of those things where I can see it all finished up in my mind and I want to make it happen!  I would be making the short versions of either of these, out of my Shetland wools that I bought earlier this year.  On the one hand, I really want a short lightweight coat, and it will use up stash fabric.  On the other hand, I know how long making coats takes, and I don't know if I will finish before the holiday festivities start up.  Especially since Big4 patterns take a bit more effort in the fitting department.  And I really want to make a project that I can finish before the week of Christmas, so that it won't be left dangling while family stuff happens, so as much as I am thinking about this, I don't know if it is going to happen...

At this point I am leaning more towards the fleece jacket or the pants.  Any thoughts, suggestions, or requests from my lovely readers?

No comments:

Post a Comment