Friday, March 2, 2012

Pattern Review: BS 03-2012-121A

Alright, so I am taking a bit of a break from my sewing challenge (and making skating dresses) to sew up a few things because I decided I wanted to make them now.  Also, because they are fast knit projects and won't take up a lot of time.  This is the first of these quickie projects, hopefully with more to come in the next few days...  Anyway, I have taken a fancy to quite a few of the designs in the March Burda, and the first one I have whipped up is 03-2012-121A:


First of all, let me say that I made this shirt with the intent that it be worn over a tank top, so I actually really like the length and fit.  I am not super pleased with my finishing on the front, but other than that I am pleased with the results (especially for as quick as it was to make this top):

My top

I could have twisted the ties one more time, but I like the long drape.

The back - the twisting of the ties pulled it a bit off center, but overall fit is pretty nice.
Here is my official pattern review:

Pattern Description:  Wrap top with caped sleeves, deep V-neckline, and long ties around the waist.

Pattern Sizing:  Burda sizes 36-44.  I used a straight size 40.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  For the most part, I thought so.  The only part I found confusing was dealing with the front self-facing.  I wasn't sure how much of a facing there actually was, and it seemed to fall open when I left it unstitched (as in the instructions).  I tried to finish it with twin-needle stitching, but it didn't end up looking very good.  Good enough to leave it, but not my best effort.  If I were to make this again, I would just cut extra fabric strips and finish the front edges in the same manner as the back neck edge (actually, I would probably do the entire open edge in one piece to give a nice finished look).  The rest of the instructions were quite good.

Did it look like the photo/drawing when you were done with it?  Yes, very much so!  I think the caped sleeves looked a bit longer on me (which is probably better), and I think I wrapped the ties one time fewer than in the magazine photo, so the ends drape a bit more, but overall very true to the photo and drawing.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I really liked that there was additional shaping with darts, even though this is for a knit fabric.  I also liked the way the ties wrap around the waist - I think it is flattering.  I wasn't a fan of the lack of finishing on the front "self facings"but other than that I really liked this pattern - very fast to sew together!

Fabric used:  Black rayon jersey from Joann Fabrics.

Pattern alterations or design changes you made:  I tried to finish the front facing, but it came out a bit wonky.  I would change the way this is done in the future (see the instructions section of this review for advice).  After my attempts with the front facing I decided to leave the hem on the ties unfinished - they wont ravel and I thought adding a finished hem wouldn't look as good.  Not to mention I was feeling really lazy at the time, so I just left it unfinished.  I actually think this drapes better at the free ends of the ties.

Would you sew it again?  Would you recommend it to others?  I might sew it again - especially in the long-sleeved view B (perhaps next fall, in a wooly knit jersey?).  I think it is a great piece for layering, and it is fast to sew together.  I don't think I need a ton of these tops in my wardrobe, but I do like that I can wear this to add layers.  I would recommend this pattern to others, but suggest they consider different finishing techniques, at least for the front pieces.

Conclusion:  I really like this pattern.  I don't know that I need to make a lot of these tops, but I am glad I made this one to wear with things I already have.  I like the way it fits and is shaped, and overall I like the results.  With a few minor tweaks on the finishing it could be a great pattern, and I think the wrapped shape is a great way to get definition at the waist.

With any luck I can get more sewing done today and tomorrow - maybe I will have a few more finished object posts done by the end of the weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Love this on you. I'm thinking of sewing it up soon too. Also, I'd wear it as a topper and not worry about how low cut it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog via Pattern review! I love this top - it's in my queue for myself, but it will also be an excellent wrap for my daughters' dance classes.

    ReplyDelete