Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Page Number Happy Dance

Ok, I don't typically post "real life" things here, BUT I am going to make an exception because I finally got LaTeX to number pages in the format required for my super long thesis document.

Me, after pagination worked out.
(Picture from realitytvgifs)
I still have a ton of work to do, but I have wasted nearly a week trying to get the page numbers to look correct (the problem was that the style had to change mid-document).  I am sure the LaTeX gurus out there are just shaking their heads, but, well, I have only used it to write articles before, and never such a long document.  The memoir class has saved my butt, even if it has screwed up a lot of the other formatting I already had in place, but even so we are still on good terms.

(Also, for those of you who are unaware, LaTeX is sort of like Word for people who want their documents, especially those with mathematical formulas, to look good.  Basically it has lots of fancy nice typesetting properties, but it also has a pretty steep learning curve.  I figured it would be the path of least resistance, and, well, I still think I was right on that account, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been major headaches along the way.)

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Leave it to the math nerds to write a program and name it latex.

    Three cheers for formatting victories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used Framemaker for my last thesis--how I miss it. We have to use Word.

    ReplyDelete