Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Best Patterns of 2012

Pattern Review has posted their annual report of the previous year's top ten patterns.  Looks like the main theme of 2012 was simple wardrobe basics and Sewaholic patterns.  I have two of these patterns in my to-sew stash (Simplicity 1916 and Vogue 8747), but most of the patterns I don't already have don't really interest me.  Though I may have to consider trying a Sewaholic pattern in the future, since they are very popular and seem to give good results.  And I might have to give the Vogue top a try this year.  I spent a lot of time last year trying to perfect the fit on a button-down shirt and ended up with a lot of wadders.  I do have a pencil skirt on my to-sew list this year, but I will probably end up using one of my numerous Burda patterns rather than buying the McCall's pattern from the article.

Also, is it just me or do magazine patterns seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes to these "Best of" lists?  Either because the magazines give us too many pattern options (I mean, how many Burda pencil skirt patterns do we all have?), they are too hard to come by (anyone else wish Patrones was also distributed by GLP International?), or people are scared off by the tracing and not so fantastic instructions.  Oh well.

So... what do you all think?  Did any of your favorite patterns make the list?  Do you want to try a Sewaholic pattern now?  Or do you find most of these choices rather boring?  Does the Pattern Review list influence your pattern buying and sewing habits?  Or are you (like me) going to go straight back to your current list of projects to sew and completely ignore the PR list altogether?  Do you think it is harder for magazine patterns to make the list than envelope patterns?  Feel free to discuss in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. I always have a peek at the top pattern list, then feel dowdy because they aren't what I wear!!! But I may have to venture out of my comfort bubble and try a Sewaholic pattern this year....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only ones of those that I own are the Vogue peplum top (actually, that's on my "maybe sew this soon" list) and the maxi dress. When I was a new sewist, I would buy up the top ten patterns because I thought I'd have more success with them, but those are exactly the patterns that I've been purging lately.

    I always wonder whether Burda and Patrones lose out because there isn't anyone doing a sew along. Tasia has been an exemplar of how to use a blog to generate momentum for her patterns through sew alongs and extra tutorials. But I'm unlikely to sew a Renfrew. ;-)

    I would bet that Steph's Tiramisu dress (Cake Patterns) will be on the list next year since it seems to be a recent big hit and there's been sew alongs, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always find the PR list rather dull, but then again i always find something that intrigues me enough to want it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sewaholic Renfrew and Cambie have been tempting me for a while, but I have so many patterns that I don't know if I can justify buying more.

    I don't pay too much attention to the PR "best of" lists because it seems to be that the more a pattern is sewn, the more it subsequently gets sewn by more people.

    I often wonder whether or not people actually wear their Vogue 1250 dresses (No. 1 in 2011). I've been tempted to buy it quite a few times and then realise that it is far too form fitting for me to feel comfortable wearing it most of the time.

    I think Clio's comment above hits the nail on the head - and I totally expect the Tiramisu dress to be in the top 10 next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the Vogue 1250 was not kind to me... It didn't last long as a dress, and hasn't been worn much as a top either. Honestly I think I need a high waisted pencil skirt to go with it... but that is a thought for another day.

      And it is a good point that most people who sew Burda patterns don't do them as a sew along... I wonder if it is because we all go into them half hoping that some combination of wits, wiles, and luck will make the instructions and pattern pieces make enough sense to end up with something good at the end.

      Delete
  5. You know, apart from the Renfrew, the sewaholic patterns just don't do it for me. Granted, I'm the complete opposite shape to what they design for, but even take that out of the picture, and I'm left feeling meh. Many of the melbourne based bloggers I regularly catch up with are all head over heels for the cambie - and I've yet to meet someone who hasn't raved about it. So maybe I just need to take the plunge.
    And I don't know whether to be embarassed or chuffed that me in my super-sweated out renfrew made the pictures on that PR post. I'll go for the latter methinks :)

    ReplyDelete