(1) Firstly, I have finished another skating practice dress. The fabric is from Spandex World in New York, and I am pretty happy with the results.
(2) I have (mostly) finished my first attempt at a button-down shirt using McCall's pattern (6035). Overall I am a bit conflicted on the results. On the one hand, the princess seams are nice and I mostly like the fit. The lower back is a bit narrow (I will have to add width to the lower back seams), but the real problem is the sleeves. They are slightly a bit narrow (I can easily add width - not a problem), but are extremely uncomfortable at the front armscye. Normally I would say that the problem is that the back is too narrow or that I would need and FBA, or perhaps that the armscye is too low. But this is a pattern with cup sizing, the sleeve seam is well under my armpit, and I don't feel any pulling across the front or the back. Honestly the best I can figure is that the shape of the sleeve is just, well, awkward. Here are some pictures on the dress dummy:
At this point I am debating my course of action. I mean, at some point this year I want to make a perfectly fitted button down shirt (something I have never had before) as part of my sewing challenge. I just don't know if I want to spend the time right now dealing with alterations to this pattern. I am debating using a Vogue pattern or BWOF pattern instead, and using this McCall's pattern to re-draft the sleeve design. The overall fit and look of this shirt is mostly good, but I can't quite decide how to fix the awkward parts, or even what is causing them... After I add buttons I might show some pictures of it on me and ask for advice. But honestly, right now I am thinking about putting this project off for a while while I ponder my options. I don't really consider this a UFO, since this shirt is done (or will be shortly after I add buttons), but more like a posponed project to be resumed later. I won't be writing up a pattern review until I decide if I want to pursue this pattern, or try something else.
Now for what is on deck for the next few weeks...
(3) One of my sewing challenge bonus items is "something from my sewing plans list" and I have decided that that "something" will be a cardigan sweater from My Image magazine:
|My Image M1003|
|The line drawing.|
(4) I have really taken to the idea of sewing up some of the new patterns from the March Burda. I have some more black rayon fabric (left over from my sewing challenge top) and I really want to make this simple looking wrap top:
|It has captured my fancy|
(5) Another long cardigan top. The more I look at this pattern, the more I just fall in love with it. I have been saving a soft blue knit for some special project, and I think I have found it. With any luck this too should be a quick project that I can whip up on my serger...
So, that's what I hope to be tracing/cutting/sewing in the next week or so. After that I will be hard core sewing skating costumes for real. In general my challenge projects have been going well, and I have a bit of extra time before I need to start on my competition dresses, so I feel justified in throwing in a few extra projects. Also, after having so many planned projects, a little spontaneity is nice! Hopefully I will have a lot of finished projects to show off soon!