Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Newsflash: Fall/Winter Burda Plus Full Preview Posted

The Russian Burda website has just posted the full preview of the Fall/Winter Burda Plus Magazine.  My overall impression: not terrible, but not exciting.  I don't know, maybe I am just on pattern overload, but it seems like there aren't a whole lot of the fall fashions I am falling in love with this year.  I suppose that is one of the great things about sewing and pattern stashing - if I am not a fan of current trends I can just find something in my stash that I like better.

In any case, let's take a look at what's new from Burda.  Firstly, the jackets in this issue aren't too bad:

This leather jacket is pretty slick.

Not sure how I feel about this long coat.
Might feel a bit too military...

But I do like the line drawing.

This long coat is a bit more simplistic.

And this short jacket looks great for a casual fall day.
Probably the best thing in this issue is the fitted sheath dress.  In fact, it is so fantastic that Burda made several versions of it:

The long sleeved lace version...

The color blocked version...

The red lace version...

I like lots of seam lines for fitting.

The sexy office version...

But all of these dresses have the same basic lines.

The gown version...
I suppose once you get a good fit then you can make lots of variations of the same dress?

There were also a few other patterns that look like they could be good wardrobe basics:

Another cowl neck top.
The pants... maybe not my favorite style.

Silky tie blouse is pretty nice.

Love the shirt and the skirt.

Another nice top.
Of course not everything was fantastic...

There are too many frumpy Victorian patterns in this issue...

And I don't see how this bulky yeti sweater could look flattering on anyone.
So... yeah.  There is one good dress pattern (which Burda used to death to create 5 "different" dress patterns) and a few nice tops and jackets, but not a whole lot of wow.  I suppose I wish there were more than one decent dress pattern, and maybe a few more top options.  But, well, I suppose the patterns that are included are wardrobe staple type patterns so maybe I shouldn't be so grumpy about it.  I don't know.  What do you all think?  Are you excited by any of these patterns?  Or does this fall seem filled with boring simplistic styles?  Is anyone even ready to sew for fall yet, or are you all still enjoying summer sewing?  Feel free to discuss in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a plus, but I love it when there's 3 or 4 versions of a dress. That way I only have to fit once. I agree that the yeti sweater is probably not going to be a big hit, but the victorian line drawing was much prettier than the photo. I think it's just way too long. But I think for plus sized pear shapes, the ruffles and blousen top of the dress would be great for balancing the figure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the red wrap dress with the lace skirt is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The leather jacket is very nice, but I have to say the rest don't grab me. That first coat looks like it ought to be great from the line drawing, but doesn't seem to work on the model.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,
    I am new to this blog and can see I am almost a year behind but have a newly found interest in sewing with leather. I absolutely love the leather jacket at the top of your blog. Any idea how I can get my hands on the pattern.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a few for sale on eBay:

    http://m.ebay.com/itm/281242555953?nav=SEARCH

    ReplyDelete