Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pattern Review: BS-07-2009-109B

My sister was looking through some of my Burdas and decided she wanted me to make a few things for her to wear.  She bought her own fabric a few months ago, and I finally got around to making it for her.

BS-07-2009-109B
This was an easy pattern to make, and I think it turned out well.  It is a more casual style, but it looks comfortable and I think she will get some good use out of it, even if it is only when she is being lazy at home.

My sister in her new shirt.
Nice casual style.
The back.

Close up of the shoulder tie detail.

Here is my official Pattern Review:

Pattern Description: Long sleeved shirt pattern with draped front, shoulder ties, and open shoulders.

Pattern Sizing:  Burda sizes 36-46.  This shirt is supposed to have a very easy fit, but you might consider going down a size if you don't want to be drowning in fabric.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, I thought Burda had very good instructions for this top.  I had a moment of stupidity and used my serger on the shoulder seams, so I had to unpick them because you are supposed to use the seam allowances to make the casing for the tie strings, but that was my fault, not the instructions.

Did it look like the photo/drawing when you were done with it?  Yes, pretty much.

What did you particularly like/dislike about this pattern?  Likes: It was very quick and easy to make, and it looks very comfortable. Dislikes:  It seems to have a problem staying in place when my sister wears it, so it needs a tank or cami under when my sister wears it.  She doesn't seem to have a problem with it moving around, but I think it would drive me nuts.

Fabric Used:  Rayon jersey from Fashion Fabrics Club.  It is thick, super soft and drapey, so it gives the shirt an almost sweater-like feel.

Pattern alterations or design changes you made: None.

Would you sew this again?  Would you recommend it to others?  I don't know if I will sew it again, since my sister probably only needs one, and I don't know if I would want this style for me.  I would recommend it if you like the style - the pattern is super easy to sew together and it has a nice casual vibe.

Conclusion:  This is a great pattern if you want a nice casual top.  I think Burda has the right idea in the styling - this would be the perfect thing to wear at a beach bonfire or as a bathing suit cover up when it gets chilly in the evenings.  It would be a great addition to a vacation wardrobe, or to wear when being lazy around the house.  Not sure that I will need to make any more of these any time soon, but the pattern itself it great and I would recommend it.

3 comments:

  1. Love it. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this, am always on the lookout for knit tops with a twist, I like the fact that it has long sleeves but with a bit of a cutout. Another one for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo - it;s lovely. I think I have this on my "make one day" list. I do have vague recollections of reviewers on patternreview saying that it wants to fall off the shoulders. Your sister looks fantastic in it.

    ReplyDelete